Skip to main content

Helen Fulthorpe Interview

I


Former X Factor contestant Helen Fulthorpe is back recording new music and is performing at this weeks Pride Cymru. We caught up with the Cardiff born singer to see what she's been up to..

W&W: Hi Helen, you've been a busy girl since you appeared on X Factor!

Helen: Since X factor my life have certainly changed , and for the better,  I have done and still doing things that I could only dream of . It's been immense. 
Singing at so many events Ive supported Alesha Dixon and Sam Bailey at Pride events. I went on ITV This Morning and done lots of national interviews. Having my own single released . And to now working on my album for it be released in the winter months. 

W&W: Ah new music tell us about it..

Helen: It's going to be a soulful album. My inspirations for the album are Joss Stone and Amy Winehouse. So im wanting that authentic soulful vibe for the album. Songs will be written between myself and Anthony Goldsbrough who have produced and worked with so many top names including Paolo Nutini , Bonnie Tyler & Ed Sheeran . The musicians he has in place are musicians to Emili Sande and Olly Murs ., so only the best will do haha. 

W&W: Loved Loved Loved your single 'Ashes to Ashes' how does it feel singing your own song and getting a great reaction from the crowd?

Helen: Singing 'Ashes to Ashes' and the response I got was phenomenal.  I had BBC radio airplay and when I received the email from BBC I think I got that excited I fangirled myself lol. . I worked with the label songsbykidz including Kerry Latchford Evans, wife of steps star lee. Ian Brearly and Dean Lennon. They are such a good team and we had lots of fun too . But hearing people singing it along with me at big events of 10,000 or more is just amazing. . And those who tweet me also saying how they love it etc it's a great feeling. Without it I wouldn't be wanting to do an album. I'm very excited. 

W&W: What's your advice to anyone auditioning for X Factor or a similar show?

Helen: My advice to those who want to audition is just do it, go in as you never know what may happen. I was about to leave my audition in Cardiff and a researcher who is now a friend stopped me . I'm glad he did. But I will say if you get a no keep trying. Stevie Richie auditioned for xfactor 7 times before he made it. 

W&W: Do you keep in touch with anyone from X Factor?

Helen: Yes I keep in contact with Stevie and Fleur . Stevie and I are still very close and we confide in lots. We call it our xfactor family . Ill be hooking up with him in london soon . We have even said we'll arrange a day and take our children out for the day somewhere soon. 

W&W: It's great to see you like a mentor to so many young singers in Cardiff, any particular Cardiff acts do you think we should keep an eye out for?

Helen: Oh my, I know two young lads who I think got their own factor and will make it big time. Very handsome and humble young men who I support one million percent. Jamie Miller and Tom Auton. They are ones to watch. Especially  on our screens .. wink wink. 

W&W: And you got some big gigs coming up, where can we see you play?

Helen: Yes im gigging sat 13 th at Pride Cymru which I love especially as its in my hometown. Ill be on stage around 7:45 pm . On 26th aug Ill be singing at Cardiff City  Stadium for follow your dreams charity fundraiser.  With Sandi from GoggleBox and Lee Selby boxing champ. On 3rd sept you can catch me at Mischiefs cafe bar Cardiff Bay. 
On 17th sept its Redhead Day Uk Festival in London.  I love the fests. 
Then ill be concentrating on my album. And on Nov 5th I will be performing at Manchester United Old Trafford.
So lots coming up.  And I'm awaiting to confirm a two hour slot with BBC Radio Wales Live . Which I will announce soon. 

W&W: How do you juggle being a mum & a singer? We've met your kids... They rock!!

Helen: My children are and always will be my priority.  They actually come to most of my events and gigs. They love to travel and meeting new people . They will even get involved and help out. With them being the ages they are as Joe is 15 this week and Beth 13, it's a lot easier . I'm a single mum so if all this were to be going on whilst they were toddlers I probably wouldn't have been able to do it. So the timing was perfect for me . 

W&W: You've performed at Pride before, why are the Pride gigs important to you?

Helen: Pride gigs are important. It's about equality and treating everybody the same . So to support this charity is a must for me, and I've travelled up and down the country to support as many pride events as possible. And may it continue.  


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Addams Family | Wyburn and Wayne Cardiff Times

Frightfully Fabulous Family Time! ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ Cooler than the Kardashians, more twisted than the Trumps, The Addams Family have descended upon Cardiff Bay for twelve nights of music and mischief on their UK tour of the Hit musical. Even before the show started I was in awe of the ghoulishly gothic and gorgeous set and then the lights dimmed, the fingers start snapping and the magic begins as the kookiest family of them all take to the stage. The Addams Family have graced our TV and cinema screens for over 50 years and this production has a perfectly cast ensemble to play the iconic death obsessed family that everyone loves. Les Dennis is fantastic as Uncle Fester, he has some great numbers in the show and his lovable character brings much giggles. Samantha Womack and Cameron Blakely are superb as Morticia & Gomez, they pay great tribute to every actor before them that played these roles possessing all the chemistry and charisma that made these parents the most devilish y

Strike A Pose : Interview With Carlton Wilborn

Back in 1990 Madonna took stardom to dizzy heights no star had experienced before. She had a massive number one hit on her hands (Vogue), was in a hit film (Dick Tracy) and embarked on a World Tour that would have the whole world talking! The Blond Ambition Tour broke boundaries and the box office, it was the hottest ticket of the year. And if you wasn’t lucky enough to get a ticket, the tour was made into a rockumentary which featured Madonna on stage, on the road and in bed with Madonna. The film (Truth or Dare/In Bed With Madonna) focused on the relationships the superstar had with those closest to her especially the seven male dancers who featured heavily in the film. Truth or Dare has become something of a classic, probably the first venture into reality TV. The dancers that appeared in it became stars in their own right and attracted a fan base of their own. Now twenty five years later ‘Strike a Pose’ a feature documentary from Ester Gould and Reijer Zwaan, catches up wit

Many Man

Many Man Written & Performed by Tobias Weatherburn  ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ Tobias Weatherburn triumphs in Spilt Milks production of Many Man, taking us on a rollercoaster of emotions as he explores the multiple personalities of a man searching for happiness by creating a new persona each time life fails him. Many Man is a journey of a man searching for the better version of himself and ultimately wanting just to be the man he was born to be. From the start we thought this one man show would be something of a comedy stand up. There was much laughter as Weatherburn described his characters life and got all philosophical on life in general and each time the character transforms himself into a completely different persona it's done so cleverly and with lots of humour. It's not until each persona fails and breaks down that we see the dark and tormented side to his complex character.  Weatherburn delivers impeccable comic timing and nails a number of accents which keep flipping t